lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYMainLoop.c -- gcc signal 11, egcs-1.1.2

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYMainLoop.c -- gcc signal 11, egcs-1.1.2
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:50:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, brian j pardy wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> [...]
> > > Any suggestions on which functions to start with?  Probably the main
> > > loop.  Also, I just noticed in what I have up there -- it says "cpp"
> >
> > yes - or the functions "handle_LYK_xxx" that I split-out of the main
> > loop.  That would be possibly better (since chopping out the main
> > loop would leave a lot of orphaned private functions, while chopping
> > out the functions themselves would just leave a lot of implicit
> > declarations).
>
> I've narrowed it down to within handle_LYK_digit().

Hmm.  Is the GCC_UNUSED in

     BOOLEAN *,  try_internal GCC_UNUSED)

maybe confusing the compiler?  The variable is unused in the case
where you have no problem, but is used in the case where you do
do have a problem.

I don't know whether the various gccs take that only as a directive
to suppress some warnings or as more serious information.

> It looks like the
> code in the #ifndef DONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS (nasty double negatives
> again) is causing it.

Yes, I have done it too...  It should probably be changed to a
positive form ('TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS') if you (and others) find
that would help.

> I'll keep digging around to try to get it down
> to the particular line of code.  Defining DONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS
> will allow it to compile successfully.

It seems it is clear that this is an error in the compiler, not
in the code itself (it may only 'trigger' that error) - right?

  Klaus