lynx-dev

Re: problems for blind users (was: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx)

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: Re: problems for blind users (was: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx)
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:54:24 -0500

        I have never used any of the DOS ports of lynx but use the
UNIX shell version which I installed on a Sun work station and another
which came with the Debian linux distribution I got from Linux System
Labs.  My only belly ache is that Real Networks doesn't make a linux
version of the real player that is command-line driven and could be
used from lynx.  If they did that, a lot of problems could be solved.
I made the mistake of trying to download a linux version of the real
player from the realnetworks site and the download failed, but the
spam that you get after they give your name to every sleazy cottage
business in the universe sure came in.  I wonder what they are really
up to.

        Lynx is wonderful and I want to make it clear that I fully
understand that the lack of an easy realaudio reception method has
nothing at all to do with any deficiency in lynx.

        What I do want to know is whether or not I am correct in
assuming that it would not be terribly difficult for lynx to launch
and run an audio player if one existed that could, say, take standard
input and turn it in to audio on one's linux system.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group