lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary

From: Gene Collins
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx: Summary
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 16:58:30 -0400

Well, lots of sighted folks struggle with accesssing the net as well.
Blind folks just have to be a bit more picky about what screen reader
and other software they put together for their systems.  The point is
that if the screen reading software and operating system are well enough
integrated, then it won't matter what browser, word processor,
spreadsheet the blind person is running, they'll have access to it.

There used to be a few specially written programs for blind folks using
the Apple II.e.  When the IBM pc came along and general system wide
speech access became available, the special programs for blind folks
dried up.  Why?  Because we were suddenly able to use standard off the
shelf software that everyone else was using, which opened up employment
opertunities, and made getting tech support a whole lot easier.  What
I'm saying is that the point of accessibility should be at the system
level, not at the application level.

Your attempt to license the Lynx software is honorable, and please
except my appology if I seemed to imply that it wasn't.  It's your
concept of what you think blind people need that I have an argument
with, not your intentions to be helpful.

As for your assertions about the quality of gnu software, I'll just say
that I've found it to be every bit as good and even better than some
commercial software on the market from a very large developer.  That's
one of the reasons you were interested in licensing Lynx in the first
place, it's quality, right?  And as for some other company copying Lynx
and using it without regard to the gnu license, that would be just as
much an act of piracy as an individual unlawfully acquiring commercial
software.

My appologies to folks on the list if this discussion has strayed a bit
from the topic of Lynx support and development, but there are some
points here that I felt needed to be responded to.  If you read my
friend Sandi Ryans post, I think you'll conclude that there are others
who are much more emotional about the issue than I am.

Gene Collins