lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Licensing Lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Licensing Lynx
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 01:13:30 +0100 (BST)

To, could you forward this as there is no sign of the original or
an address...

> > for a new program for blind users. Currently, Lynx is distributed
> > under the GPL, but since we could not recoup our costs (or even
> > undertake the project) if we cannot get paid for our work, we would

The GPL doesn't stop you getting paid.  What it does stop is your
preventing one of your customers going into competition against you
using your code and possibly even giving it away.  Depending on the
"market", the support you supply may be enough to make people want
to obtain the software from you (on the other hand, deliberately
making the code unsupportable would be a violation of the spirit,
if not the letter of the licence).

> > like to license the code from the Univeristy of Kansas directly
> > under a license which would allow us to charge for the result. (We

And leave you with software which was about 5 years out of date and
unable to cope with modern HTML and its abuses.