lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev tech. question: translating strings to different charsets

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tech. question: translating strings to different charsets
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 06:06:08 +0500 (SAMST)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> >  The HY* settings  control different aspects (one defines directory, one
> > controlls boolen value, others provide means for pattern matching) - so it's
> > not reasonable to group them under one big setting (and I will need to write
> > code similar to LYreadCFG.c - ie binary search in the space of the allowed
>
> I believe it IS not only reasonable, but also sensible to group all
> settings related to any one feature together under one common name for
> the reasons stated in the thread "lynx.cfg bloat (was various fixes)",
> Aug. 1999.  Grouping offers the advantages of helping to prevent separation
> of like settings, facilitates the combining and integration of expanation
> of settings _by feature_, and makes adding on sub-features or additional
> settings easy to do in a rational and efficient manner.
>
> Sorry, but I do not sympathize with "I will need to write ...".

 Keep in mind, that implementing this will require extra size of binary then
(this is you are struggle for too).
 And IMO these settings will look very funny if were grouped under one
setting, consider (HYPHENATION is the name of setting they are grouped under)

HYPHENATION:ON
HYPHENATION:DIR:/usr/local/lib/lynx/hydicts
HYPHENATION:DICT:ru-eng-hyphen-dict:koi8-r:ru.hy+us.hy
HYPHENATION:CTL:ru-eng-hyphen-dict:@.ru,cyrillic*

 IMO this looks very confusing (especially with 1st setting - HY*:ON) (since
all subsettings have different number of arguments, that was not in the case
with HTMLSRC_*).
 And how will you document them in lynx.cfg - as a big comment for all
settings or as a smaller comment in for each subsetting?

 Can you point out any software package that uses such nesting for options
(seems most packages use prefixes for that reason, like HTMLSRC_TAGNAME_XFORM
rather then HTMLSRC:TAGNAME_XFORM). (Those that want grouping, use 'sections'
in their cfg files (a-la Windows), but not subsettings).
 And there are already a lot of settings that can be grouped under one setting
in lynx - like all related to NEWS,COOKIES,PROXY - why they weren't grouped
from the very begining (may be because the author didn't consider grouping as
a right thing?).

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad