lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev tech. question: translating strings to different charsets

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tech. question: translating strings to different charsets
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:27:58 +0900 (JST)

>  Why don't provide this script with lynx distribution? (Ie add /bin
> directory with scripts, etc. Some utiliies for hyphenation should also
> be bundled with lynx (seems Raph stoppped maintaining his libhnj, so

No more bundling, please. Without support, many of these scripts are way
beyond the capabilities of the average user. There is no guarantee the
author intended for a particular script to be put into general use, and
may not wish to answer questions about its use. No one else on lynx-dev
may be capable of answering questions about it.

Much more beneficial to the lynx user base would be to open up a web
page listing available scripts with links to them, either to the
author's own page if he/she is up to it, or to the archives at Flora. Of
course it would require that the author of the page have some expertise
in scripting to be able to describe what a particular script does and
how to implement it. Some basic pointers to all the various scripting
languages would also be useful.

Just because someone has stopped maintaining their library doesn't
mean it has to go into the Lynx distribution. I mean what you seem to
be proposing is turning a distribution *package* into a distribution
*site*. As far as I'm concerned libintl was the last straw.

__Henry