lynx-dev

Re: 2.8.3dev.8 patch 3 (was: lynx-dev RFC959 non-compliance)

From: Gregory A Lundberg
Subject: Re: 2.8.3dev.8 patch 3 (was: lynx-dev RFC959 non-compliance)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:53:57 -0400

> I would hope such extended features are designed in such a way that the
> server will refrain from sending [6-9]yz codes in response to "normal"
> commands (without prior negotiation).

Absolutely.  You'll probably never see such a reply code.  But I could see
someone saying: if you FEAT me and see I know SECRET-SOCIETY, then you can
OPTS me with SECRET-HANDSHAKE and I'll start using my special reply codes.
More likely though, the reply would be in response to a new command you
would support, would not generate, and would only see if some other entity
(say, Java) sent it for you.

No Java?  Well who's to say you don't decide to add it in a couple years?
Will you remember this then?  Worse yet, would the as-yet-unknown
programmer doing the work even know this converation took place?

--

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              address@hidden