lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev chartrans to CJK-like display (was: stopping when viewing a

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev chartrans to CJK-like display (was: stopping when viewing a site)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:01:38 +0900 (JST)

> *that*.  Give this CJK character set a .tbl file, put the additional
> strings in etc. as for other .tbl files, but also add a line 'R 5'
> (see comments in utf8_uni.tbl).  Then treat this like other tables
> included in UCdomap.c, and remove the special definition in UCdomap.h.

Thanks a lot.  I had not taken notice of the 'R 5' line in the utf8_uni.tbl
file.  Seems like it may be something I was looking for.

> You want your additional strings to apply in one (i.e. your specific)
> display character set.  So there isn't really a good reason to make
> _the default_ configurable or non-generic IMO - the strings should be
> put in a table specific to that display character set.

This is what I meant, just had no idea how to say it.

> I have never tried the CJK-with-.tbl-file approach, but would like to
> encourage you to start down that path...  We can then begin to look for

In my mind I've always been using the "CJK-with-.tbl-file approach".  You
have forgotten, however, how hopelessly ignorant I am.  I will do hacks
to make things to work on my specific system, but it would be folly to
include me in "We can then begin ...".  (I learned my lesson with
EXP_JAPANESE_SPACES.)  I am happy and honored to make do with whatever
people like you or Leonid come up with.

> A somewhat simpler idea: I thing there is nothing hardwired that
> _requires_ the 'default' character set to be the same as "us-ascii"/
> SevenBitApproximations.  So you could try to move the
>
>    # Shall this become the "default" translation table?  YES!
>    # There has to be exactly one table marked as "default".
>    D1
>
> from def7_uni.tbl to another one.  That other one could be a copy of

I REALLY appreciate your help.  This looks like something I could handle.

__Henry