lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:07:32 -0400

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 09:43:38AM -0400, François Pinard wrote:
> Webmaster Jim <address@hidden> écrit:
>
> > If anyone in your group can update it or work with the Free Translation
> > Project to do so, we would be grateful.
>
> This is only a quick reply, being away from home for a few days.
>
> Soon after the POT file was made available to teams, Michel Robitaille
> started to translate it all, unaware of previous efforts.  I told him that
> something unofficial was still not sorted into the Translation Project,
> and gave him a few URL to check.  Seeing that, Michel stopped translating
> messages after a few hundreds, waiting for more news about this.
>
> It might be better to see all translations, even incomplete, put as
> PO files in the TP, and teams properly notified of what is going on.
> That might avoid some expense of energy, like Michel's.

That's a good idea. The unofficial translations that are floating around
include:

The French PO file I have been occasionally updating. It is in the Lynx
current distribution (yes, Henry, it will be removed soon :-). Also
mirrored on many Lynx ftp sites (e.g., ftp://lynx.isc.org/po/).

The German PO file started by Klaus Weide that has not yet appeared in
the "TP". An older version is in the Lynx FTP site, but I have yet to
see the newer one being worked on by a TP team.

A Japanese version was created by Henry Nelson. I can't recall if a more
complete generic PO file has been done.

There have been several message catalog files created using the earlier
Lynx technique of replacing strings based on preprocessor defines. I
worked with the Italian one, and I think there was a Spanish version as
well. If you want, I can find these in the archives.

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
My God I'm depressed.