lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:27:10 -0400

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 02:47:52AM -0300, Robert Cormier wrote:
> At 22:13 99-07-31 -0400, François Pinard wrote:
>
> >These quotes say that efforts were invested towards French translations, and
> >there is an interest for it.  Alain, Robert and Claude, you are probably more
> >aware than I am about what happened about this need.  But if not, I invite
> >you to check `http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/domain-lynx.html'
> >from time to time.  This page will eventually hold pointers you need.
>
> The Chebucto Community Net is using a fully functional French version of
> Lynx, which I translated as part of my involvement in the translation of
> CSuite (which also features a French version of Pine and other goodies).
> The translation of Lynx includes the interface, the messages and the help
> files). It was a pretty extensive project and lots of stuff was translated
> into French at the time.
>
> You should be able to try the French version of Lynx online it if you
> telnet to chebucto.ns.ca and login as " visiteur "
>
> CSuite is available via FTP and on CD-ROM. I suggest you visit the CSuite
> website at www.csuite.ns.ca
>
> The Chebucto Community Net  (www.chebucto.ns.ca) is bilingual (En-Fr) and
> powered by CSuite. Text-based users have access to both Lynx and Pine in
> French.
>
> The contact person to get access to French Lynx (or Pine) would be David
> Murdoch <address@hidden>
>
> If you give a try to French Lynx, I would appreciate your
> comments/feedback, since we miss the critical mass of users that would make
> it known.
>
> >François Pinard   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard
> --
> Robert A. Cormier
> Halifax (Nouvelle-Ecosse)
> W3 : http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~cormier/profil-f.htm

Robert:

  We based the Lynx NLS support partly on the Chebucto Lynx patches,
merging in both code and translations going back a couple years. The
Chebucto and lynx-dev versions have diverged since then; I'm not aware
of any cross-fertilization since.

  I collect unofficial translation sets for the lynx-dev version.  The
French message catalog I have is directly descended from the Chebucto
one since I can barely read French and can't write anything other than a
few words. If anyone in your group can update it or work with the Free
Translation Project to do so, we would be grateful.

Thanks/Merci!

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: