lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx, hotmail, and cookies - an update

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx, hotmail, and cookies - an update
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:15:29 -0600

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
| > Of course, adding:
| >
| > COOKIE_LOOSE_INVALID_DOMAINS:.passport.com,.msn.com
| >
| > to my lynx.cfg obviates the need for all the manual interaction, but I
| > thought I'd go thru all the gory details in case one of our cookie-guru's
| > wants to look into *why* so many (TEN, count 'em, 10) prompts/replies are
| > required.
|
| That's easy - many invalid cookies => many "invalid cookie" prompts.

True ... *if* we're actually talking about that many actual cookies.

That is possible, I suppose, but for many (most, really) of the "y"
traffic between lynx and the site ... more like lynx has processed a
bit more of a single cookie, finds something "invalid", and asks about
acceptance.  Then process a bit more of the cookie as a result of the
y(es) response, finds something else it doesn't like, and repeats the
query/response cycle.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's what it "feels" like, since there
is absolutely *no* on-screen indication that each "y" response is bringing
up a new cookie ... no blinking of the ststus line, no change to *anything*
on-screen, etc.

| Sure, the prompts could be more obvious/more informative/more recognizable.

Just *some* indication that the response had been seen, and acted upon
would help (eg, erase/blank the statusline msg that was responded to, so
there would at least be a "flicker" if the next prompt/msg was identical
to the previous one.  Etc.

<http://www.best.com/~kimdv/lynx/hotmail_trace.gz>,
| > and the account/passwd data is embedded.
|
| I haven't looked inside, but you serve the file in a broken way, note the
| Content-Type below.

Oh, I just tossed the file in an empty directory in my web-space (since I
don't really have any web-pages set up).  Normally, I'd have put it in my
anon ftp dir, but since this *is* lynx-dev, I figured it'd be more natural
to d(ownload) it with lynx ... :-) ...

FWIW, I couldn't make much sense out of the trace, in relation to my
comments above, about whether each y(es) response was in fact for a
separate cookie, since I haven't studied the cookie code, so I was hoping
for some feedback as to whether what I was/am seeing was normal/proper
cookie processing (and thus just a result of MS foolish nonsense).

/kim