lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev MacLynx Development

From: Scott Lahteine
Subject: Re: lynx-dev MacLynx Development
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:55:18 -0400

>Getting a ProjectBuilder project into the whole setup would be useful
>(for me at least!)..

ProjectBuilder... That's under Yellow Box, yes? Go for it, 'mattack'! It
should be a relative breeze to do.

>I've heard of it..  But if you're going to Carbonize, and especially
>if you're going to *require* Carbon (which I doubt) you may want to look
>into the _new_ event model..    It does a lot of the work that frameworks
>do for you but is built into teh system.

I haven't done any coding with CarbonLib yet. My focus for the moment is on
MacOS 8 & 9. By using this OOP framework it should be well-nigh pluggable
into the new event model. They're still 'events,' after all.

>I don't get it..  if it's a Mac port why are there two versions?

I never said anything about two versions. Between the lines you might
assume I'm writing one for curses and another for WASTE. This is not the
case. I intend to use WASTE but wrap it with curses interfaces, since
curses is how lynx talks to the terminal emulation.

>Will it still _look_ mostly like the UNIX CLI version, using a monospaced
>font, etc?  I sure hope so because that's what I want!

Yes, a monospaced font is almost a 'requirement.' However, I'm not averse
to including other font options in a Mac program; at least VT-102, ProFont,
Hell's Programmer, Monaco, Courier, QuickType Mono... Then I'll add
animated buttons and cute sound effects. ;)

>About the only "advantages" the GUI version gives is that it's easier to
>always
>keep it open (I don't have 'screen' ported to OSX yet), and having a bookmark
>menu is useful.

I won't debate you on the (de)merits of GUI or lack thereof.

>Then you may simply want to _release_ (even if to just a few people)
>your version modified from the existing code.

I haven't modified anything yet, and am not likely to until I have studied
this code. If you wish I can send you a copy of the project (with the
latest version of GUSI) for CodeWarrior Pro 5. Then you can see what a hack
it is currently. (For example, the terminal window is constantly updated.)
Really, there is nary a piece of mac-specific code in it.

>Heck, I would like to see if I could get the Carbonized version to compile
>and run on OSX/OSX Server.

Okay, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Scott Lahteine
   "No universe is perfect which leaves no room for improvement."
      <mailto:address@hidden>
         <http://www.things-of-the-non.org>