lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev short_url option

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev short_url option
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 04:43:54 -0400 (EDT)

From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>

> > or dynamic.  I've heard them in office halls, and when they think something
> > is dynamic, they don't say "asp" - they say "CGI" -
>
> So it seems I have been protected from exposure to this bit of
> misleading terminology, by not frequenting those office halls...

I see the same reaction to coldfusion (.cfm), etc.  If the URL doesn't
end in / or .html, most non-programming users think of the page as "CGI"
and other wise think of the page as static - or they don't think of
the concept of dynamic page generation at all.

> I find most of the discussions on lynx-dev about what I call 'fancy
> ideas' - basically discussing wishlist items in much detail, without
> much regard for the 'how?' of implementation - not very productive.

So do we need another mailing list or newsgroup for people to discuss
wish lists for lynx?  Seems rather a shame if we are going to route everyone
else here and send those who would like to see lynx do more away...

> They rarely seem to lead to implementation.  When some individual does
> take the initiative and implements something similar to what has been
> discussed in that fashion, those high-flying ideas discussed
> previously in much detail don't play much of a role - the details have
> been long forgotten, or the implementation just is much more

I thought that was one of the purposes of brainstorming - exchange ideas,
regardless of how far fetched, for the purpose of sparking imagination
or creativity - and letting the one who is going to implement come up with
'the best fit' or 'what they prefer' or 'what is wanted' in the end.

I know I get the impression that many people are 'disappointed' that
someone else isn't going to write their feature for them for free.  But I
see that in many other mailing lists as well.   Very seldom does a mailing
list consist of a large group of bored programmers just looking for something
else to do.  Where are the Linux open source programmers when you need
them <grin>?
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>
-><-