lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev I'm sorry,I'm over my head.

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev I'm sorry,I'm over my head.
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:21:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, kc5cqa wrote:

> I have a windows 95 system, (yah know) and use the Netscape browser, it
> is use the most, then Microsoft browser, and I would just like another
> browser, so that is where lynx comes in. So I joined this group just to
> 'read the mail', but even that is way above my 'head', soooo, I pose
> this question to you, should I download  the lynx browser, or just be
> contended in my 'large pool'?  I have had a computer for about a year
> replies.              Chuck Lorentson   73

Many of us have access to Netscape or Internet Explorer, but prefer
lynx. If you are thinking of doing this in Win95, the first thing to
do is to go to "http://www.fdisk.com/doxlynx/lynxport.htm"; and read
about the port. Download the archive and unzip it. You need to install
it by hand - there is no Windows-style setup.exe file. Just modify the
sample batch file for your configuration, then make a shortcut to the
batch file and put it on your desktop. Lynx is quite configurable. In
addition to the option file (type "O" from within lynx), there is a
lynx.cfg file which you can alter to customize it the way you like.
Write back to the list if you have trouble installing or using it. You
will probably find that you prefer it to the big two for serious use
of the web. If you want to browse graphics sites, you may need to use
one of the other browsers.

                                Doug

__
Doug Kaufman