lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev bug in comments process

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bug in comments process
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:10:57 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > > By the way, this is apparently parsed differently with -prettysrc,
> > > not consistent with normal parsing.  Vlad, how did you manage that?
> > > Can you correct it?
> >

> >  I inspected the problem. It seem to me this is due to the fact that
> > <script>
> > has SGML_LITTERAL content - so even normal html comments are not recognised
> > in
> > it.
>
> THEY ARE NOT NORMAL HTML COMMENTS.  As I already wrote.

 Yes, reading HTML 4.0 specs I understood that. SGML comments in the <script>
are used to delimit scripts from old browsers that don't know the <script>
attribute to prevent rendering it by them. But ..
 Experimenting with NS 4.51 showed that:
* it renders original file without problems
* removing terminating --> makes that page blank
* removing both <!-- and --> makes the page to look similar to what the lynx
   does (the same parts of script are shown)

 I didn't tested IE, but IMO it will do the same. And seems that NS is wiser
than lynx in "skipping" scripts. May be this behaviour should be simulated by
the lynx (ie handle any "comments" in scripts as comments and skip any
non-commented stuff)?
 Can anybody try that page in IE (and making modiifcations I made to it too)?

 Now I understand that my patch made things worth (so it shouldn't be
applied), but seems that we can place 'fixing handling of comments in
<script>' to our TODO list (seems that major number of pages use commented
scripts).

>[...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad