lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev patch that allows text inputs to be non-sticky

From: asgilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch that allows text inputs to be non-sticky
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:43:57 -0400 (EDT)

What follows is educated hunches.

I have some idea that people using screen readers would find it confusing to
drop into an edit field and the keystroke vocabulary suddenly change under them.

In other words, the pre-2.3 behavior where one had to manually open an entry
field to enter stuff in it is IMHO more friendly to [a least the novice]
eyes-free user.  There are more keystrokes but the state changes are obvious.

I have also spoken up on the WAI User Agent list complaining about
automatically submitting on ENTER for forms that lack a SUBMIT element.
This is a trap for folks who are used to closing a text entry with ENTER.
Generally speaking, forms without explicit SUBMIT are treacherous in
eyes-free mode where it is harder to know the full extent of the form and
what is being submitted.  Better to be pedantic, so far as I can tell.

These are my rough ideas; I haven't studied the matter systematically.

Al

For what it's worth, here are my nominees for a more explanatory flag
name in lynx.cfg:

One setting is OPEN_ENTRY_FIELDS:AUTO

Its opposite is OPEN_ENTRY_FIELDS:MANUAL

Don't create the hybrid.  If MANUAL, keep it that way for all fields.
It's hard enough to follow the modal changes as it is.

The flag for the other one could be

                FORMS_WITHOUT_SUBMIT_ELEMENT:SUBMIT_ON_ENTER

                FORMS_WITHOUT_SUBMIT_ELEMENT:INSERT_ELEMENT