lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Problem with HTLoadFile?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with HTLoadFile?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:46:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Rob Partington wrote:
> In message <address@hidden>,
>            Klaus Weide writes:
> >
> > Maybe you should describe what you want to do.  I have a suspicion
> > that cernrules can already do what you want.  Or, if not, that your
> > stuff should hook in at the same level.
>
> The cernrules don't help.

Have you looked at the latest, 2.8.3dev.1 or later?

> # 1. Applicable URL schemes
> <snip>
> # Also, a scheme has to be known to Lynx in order to get as far as
> # applying rules - you cannot just define your own new foobar: scheme
> # and then map it to something here.
>
> Since I've already added the code to make Lynx recognise my protocol,
> this isn't a problem (but still seemingly short-sighted).

There's also a trick with bogus xxx_proxy variable described in the
latest version.

> # 3. Mappings are invisible
> # -------------------------
> # Changing the URL with "Map" or "Pass" rules will in general not be
> # visible to the user, because it happens at a late stage of processing
> # a request (similar to directing a request through a proxy).  One
> # can think of two kinds of URL for every resource: a "Document URL" as
> # the user sees it (on INFO page, history list, status line, etc.), and
> # a "physical URL" used for the actual access.  Rules change only the
> # physical URL.  This is different from the effect of HTTP redirection.
> # Often this is bad, sometimes it may be desirable.
>
> This breaks my protocol horribly.

The latest version has added "Redirect" - maybe that's closer to
what you want.

Well I don't really know what you are trying to do since you didn't
explain - but it should fall into one of two categories:

a) You want to sneakily replace the 'physical' URL with a different one,
   leaving the rest of the code unaware.  (see above)
b) You want to replace a URL with a different one, making the rest
   of the program aware of it - see "Redirect".

   Klaus