lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: 'reloading' lynx.cfg (was: options (more, please))

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: 'reloading' lynx.cfg (was: options (more, please))
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:32:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Michael Warner wrote:

> I finally got around to getting 2.8.3dev4 a few days ago, and
> just tonight tried out the RELOAD - it still seems to cause the
> cookie file to be written to a file whose name varies from one
> invocation to the next, but always seems to end in "@^A".  The
> COOKIE_FILE entry in .lynxrc also gets rewritten.

Yes, that looks like what I remember (the actual characters in
the file name may have been different.)

Actually, IIRC I first saw this after correcting '#ifdef
PERSISTENT_COOKIES' in reload_read_cfg to '#ifdef
EXP_PERSISTENT_COOKIES' in some intermediate version a while ago.

Looking closer at those sections of code now, they seem wrong.
If it's necessary to temporarily store a way of the cookie file
name, that should not be done as (currently)

        char * LYCookieFile_flag = LYCookieFile;

but something like

        char * LYCookieFile_flag = NULL;
        StrAllocCopy(LYCookieFile_flag, LYCookieFile);

(and a 'FREE(LYCookieFile_flag)' at the end) is needed.

> Since I know this is happening, and the real cookie file doesn't
> appear to be damaged, and I (think I) know how to repair the
> damage, I can still use the reload cautiously and under limited
> circumstances, but I think it's an undesirable (to put it mildly)
> state of affairs for the unsuspecting user.

Could you try with the changes above?

> System is: OSF1 V4.0 878 alpha, using system curses, tcsh.
>
> Colors, howeve, are fine :)

I remember a small change only, I think it was with slang; most COLOR
pairs were as before, maybe one or two had changed.  It may have been
only a change in one of the A_{BOLD,UNDERLINE,REVERSE} attributes which
sometimes get combined with colors (and can have the effect of changing
the color on the linux console).

   Klaus