lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev partial not working on ftp:// url's (?)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev partial not working on ftp:// url's (?)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 02:50:41 -0600

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999, Leonid Pauzner (address@hidden) said:

| > So (without digging into the code) I'm wondering if "partial" is
| > supposed to NOT be working with ftp:// url's, and if that is the
| > correct behavior, why ...?

| The main problem with "partial" and directories is sorting order: we could
| not sort entries until we receive all the listing (perhaps somebody on the
| remote side will sort it for us).

Ahhh.  OK ... that  makes sense.  I hadn't been thinking about (possibly)
altering the sorting order to something different than is sent by the ftp
site.

No biggie ... I just thought I'd mention it, as it seemed a bit "odd", and
possibly a bug.  FWIW, I usually use good ol' fashioned ftp(1), but since
I knew ahead-of-time that the target dir was many thousand lines long, I
thought it might be easier to search thru if lynx were used.

| > Also, FWIW, if the dir list xfer is interrupted with either the "z"
| > key, or a ^G, the part of the listing already received does not get
| > displayed until a ^G (or a 2nd ^G) is issued.
|
| Hmm, seems you see xfer counter on statusline but no partial output - very
| strange.

Yup.

And it is the only (or 2nd) ^G that causes "Data transfer interrupted."
to be displayed (along with the 1st screenfull of the dir list received
thusfar).  Without that ^G, lynx will just sit there, showing a blank
screen, and the (now static) "Transferred NNNNN bytes" message.

/kim