lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev patch

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:58:38 +0100 (BST)

> As for CSS implementation in lynx (I said it several times, but I repeat):
> IMO it will be bad thing to parse CSSes included in or referenced by the
> documents that are read from the web (since they are suited for GUI browsers).

CSS has mechanisms for limiting styles to particular contexts.  I don't think
there is a character cell context, but, if the lack of one causes Lynx
problems, the right thing is to try and get it added.  That way, the
lazy style sheets will get over-ridden by the the local style sheet and
the good ones will achieve the author's intent.  In any case, text_align
is not a GUI only property, otherwise we wouldn't have this discussion!

> But lynx should have something to contol various things like justification,
> alignment, indents, spaces before and after, etc, I agree. But it can have any
> format of description - so (it seems to me) it will be the one that is easier
> to parse (or write parser for), not that W3C recommends.

html2ps is a lot smaller than Lynx and manages to parse quite a large
subset of CSS.  It is written in a higher level language, though.