lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev strcasecomp/strncasecomp

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev strcasecomp/strncasecomp
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 22:36:53 -0400 (EDT)

> The new code doesn't replace the prior; it's wrapped in "#ifdef SH_EX".
> I haven't tried it, but it seems that with SH_EX defined, I'd get a
> multiply defined function error.

yes (but I didn't expect you would define SH_EX for os390).

> > (I figured people would argue about whether the speed is really that
> > different,
> > and we'd get some sort of consensus about whether it was enough to be
> > useful).
> >
> Was speed the objective?  I notice that some of the new code exploits the
> "register" storage class.  Author's whim, I guess.

I thought the point of the table lookup was speed (it may be a workaround
for bad libraries).   Maybe Henry can find someone to translate the
corresponding change notes - then we may change things.  iirc, the only
place where I really changed his logic (other than fixing compiler warnings)
was in the LYExternals.c stuff - the approach for quoting command lines was
not what I wanted.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden