lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev suggested addition to lynx.cfg

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev suggested addition to lynx.cfg
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:51:14 +0100 (BST)

> > It seems to me that packagers tweak only STARTFILE setting to point to some
> > local html file, and everything else is unchanged.

There is a thread on gnu.misc.discuss (developers v packagers) which seems to
heading strongly towards the opinion that some Debian packagers are causing
confusion by tweaking more than what is needed to fit the Debian directory
structure, which implies it is common to do much more than this.

The fundamental problem here tends to be that it is not the Debian packgers
who get the support questions, but the original developers who try and answer
in the context of the original distributed defaults unless the user tells them
otherwise.

Red Hat contributed RPMs tend to be worse in this respect.

> The Debian package (2.8.2-1) makes changes to lynx.cfg for:
>   LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON
>   LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE
>   TRUSTED_EXEC

E.g. these three are not needed for the Debian package, and it would
probably be desirable to encourage Debian to restore them to the defaults
from the standard source distribution.