lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev new tables idea for SoCR

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev new tables idea for SoCR
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:43:15 -0700 (PDT)

Larry W. Virden wrote:
> As long as this is only one of many ways of producing tables, it wouldn't
> bother me for it to be there.
>
> One of the methods of outputing tables needs to keep the user who has
> screen speaking software active so that tables are output in _some_ fashion
> that makes sense when they are being read...  The trick is that this
> _MAY_ need  to be dynamically switching from column first to row first,
> since people insist on using html in manners not really in its first
> nature.

Ah, hopefully you have experience with them then.  Do you like method 1
(deeper indents per column) or method 2 (some sort of "spliiter" tag shown
at cell breaks, a special one at row ends) better for screen reading?
In my admittedly untutored opinion, the first, since it leaves paragraphs
as they sit, and doesn't introduce any fluff characters but spacing.  Your
opinion?

As for switching column vs. row:  To tell you the truth, I see just fine,
and use NS when it suits me, but I still don't know how to tell for sure if
web authors mean something to be read by rows, by columns, or for one to
hope all over the stupid screen.  If *I* can't figure it out, human pattern
ability and all, how would I possibly trust a program to get it right?
Besides to do columns first, we'd need to read the whole stupid table into
memory somehow, since that's not suited to SoCR.

* Heather