lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev configure can't guess host type

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev configure can't guess host type
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:01:18 -0400 (EDT)

> I wanted to compile Lynx on my system here at work, running Mac OS X
> (development version of course), and it can't guess the host type.  It's BSD
> UNIX based, with Mach underneath.
well, there's two ways to approach this (three, I guess):

        + patch config.guess to make a name in canonical form (and
          config.sub to accept it).  Most of the systems have a uname
          program which provides the data which is lightly formatted.  (If
          I were doing it, I'd do this & send the patch to lynx-dev &
          autoconf maintainers ;-).

        + the configure script takes a host parameter which amounts to the
          same value (but I've rarely used it myself -- some people seem to
          think it works).  It has to be one of the ones known by config.sub

        + hack the configure script itself where it calls config.guess (though
          on the whole this is not as much fun).

So - does this one have a uname, if so, what does "uname -a" show?

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden