lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev user agent when running lynx via crontab entry?

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev user agent when running lynx via crontab entry?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:57:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 10, 1999, David Woolley (address@hidden) said:
>|
>| Are you saying the forged user agent was unnecessary?  Then why use
>| it in the first place.  IMDB do definitely block by user agent.
>|
>| I haven't tried Lynx on IMDB recently, but as far as I can tell the only
>| reason it wouldn't get blocked is that there are so few people using it.
>
>Funny ... I've been accessing the imdb for several years with lynx, and
>never had a problem with being blocked, or needing to spoof the agent
>field.

No, you're misunderstanding.

I can use Lynx _live_ just fine.. But as of a few weeks ago, my daily
automated (via cron) mailing of the IMDB's StudioBriefing article
was replaced by a long explanation of why they were blocking me from the
site.

Of the various reasons listed, the only one that made sense was that they
required user agent to be set..   and the text at the bottom showed
something along the lines of 'user agent=""'.  I don't know if I've kept one
of those mailings.