lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev "-dump" format

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "-dump" format
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:18:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> In a recent note, Klaus Weide said:
> > Ahmm, that's not a good way to desfribe what you want.  I can't know how
> > that looks like for you.  It depends on what settings you are using.
> >
> Aren't these settings all available in lynx.cfg, .lynxrc, or the command
> line?
>
> Aren't they then equally to the -dump option as to interactive lynx?

Yes they are available.  No they're not all used in exactly the same way.
(Whether that's good or bad is another topic.)

Obviously you know that, or you wouldn't have started the thread.

> In my case, the page I wanted was merely a block of text between <PRE>
> and </PRE>, so I used -source instead of -dump.

Well (trying to adapt to your style of asking lots of questions,
rather than just stating what settings you are using :)): Wouldn't you
like to find out how to achieve the format you want the next time,
rather than asking speculative questions?  Aren't there better ways to
find out what lynx does than asking on lynx-dev?  You could explore
all the combinations of relevant settings and flags, and make a nice
table.  Relevant == at least what has been mentioned already (or
should have been :).

    3 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 24 combinations (a different number if there is no
    |   |   |   |                    .lynxrc so lynx.cfg setting is used,
    |   |   | -crawl                 or if you suspect other settings to
    |   |   -number_links            change the outcome)
    |  -nolist
   keypad_mode=(in .lynxrc)

    2 x 2 = 4 possible outcomes (more if there are more observables you
    |   |                        want to observe)
    |   appended list of links?
    links numbered in text?

That would help so everyone knows what everyone else is talking about.

   Klaus