lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev question about justifying CJK texts

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev question about justifying CJK texts
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 11:01:26 +0500 (SAMST)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > I plan to implement justification in lynx. I have one question - will it be
>
> Again, why in the world?

 I like justified text.

> > useful for CJK scripts (are there any notion of "words" in these
> > scripts, will justifying them make them more beatiful)?
>
> There is of course a notion of words, but speaking about CJ (I know
> nothing about K.), spaces are not put between words. I tried to do a
> hack regarding this so that Lynx wouldn't force a space wherever there
> was new line in the source, but failed. I think Hiroyuki Senshu's
> modifications have solved this problem. So "justification" has no
> meaning in Japanese, and I assume Chinese, too.

 You say that in CJ spaces are not put between words. Is there any word
separator for CJ texts (or they are visually monolithic, or screen driver
makes spaces itself after special chars)?

 I'm not sure whether it will be easy to implement turning off justifying for
CJK texts only (but of course user will have ability to turn off
justification globally). But will justified CJK text look much more ugly than
non-justified? What is the approximate length of the CJK word?

BTW, you mean that you tried to hack lynx so that following html

AAA
BBB

will be rendered into

AAABBB