lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev proposal for LYK_SCRIPT and patch

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev proposal for LYK_SCRIPT and patch
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:19:08 +0900 (JST)

>   No, the cached source is not left intact. You have to change exactly
> that document and make it the output of your script. Although I understand
> the actual source is necessary you may back it up before applying the
> script and make one of the options of the script to recover the original
>   The first question you are asked in lynx when you activate LYK_SCRIPT is
> if you want to change the /tmp file after you apply the script. Although it
> may sound redundant to ask such a question, my script did not sometimes
> originaly meant to work). Also one of the options of my scripts at the
> beginning and at the end is to exit the script. Of course, if you applied
> the wrong script, there is no undo (at this time, although it is certainly

I hope you will work on this area a bit more before submitting a final patch.
I'm the type who hates those redundant "Do you really want to?" prompts.  I'd
rather see just a warning and option in the menu to abort, but still be able
to have to hit only one more key to do what I want.  I'm also the type who
jerks at the critical moment and hits the wrong key.

> :) If I could make one request, it would be to couple the LYK_SCRIPT function
> :) to the --enable-source-cache configure option.  The main advantage I see to
>
>   I though a bit about this, and it is tied somehow. There is no way you
> are going to get it to work without EXTERNAL configuration, and only in the
> case where you cache your source you will pass $2 as the /tmp file,
> otherwise nothing gets passed, so the way I see this is that LYK_SCRIPT is
> more an external command, than a cache_source configuration. This is

Yes, I can see I was short-sighted here.  It would do the same thing I was
asking for to put LYK_SCRIPT under the --enable-externs configure option.
I would hate to see yet another option added is all.

__Henry