lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 2.8.3dev.2 patch 8 - reusing temp files

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.3dev.2 patch 8 - reusing temp files
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:59:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
> 990628 Klaus Weide offered:
> > * New option REUSE_TEMPFILES, see comments in lynx.cfg.
> & explained: [snipped]
>
> instead of adding yet another choice to the already excessive  lynx.cfg ,
> with  c 400 lines  programming as well,
> why don't you simply increase your cache limit?
> i regularly use 20, but you can increase it to 50 or 100 if you want.

Because I don't have that much memory to spare.  (I assume there must
be some reason why you regularly use 20, but not 100 or 1000.)

Because I sometimes compile with --enable-find-leaks, which makes
the cost of having too many documents cached very noticeable (and the
time for freeing them).

Because the cache limit may already be at the optimum value for me,
the number of slots I want to be used is fine - I just don't want
them to be wasted unnecessarily.

Why an option instead of just changing it?  Because different users
use Lynx in different ways.  Some may notice the changed behavior
and not like it.  (This seems more likely with LIST/ADDRLIST, for
which the change isn't yet used.  Think of David Combs, whose usage
patterns are probably quite different from yours or mine.)

> your effort looks like 1 user's meat being 100 users' poison (smile).

I suggest you make a survey of Lynx users, ask them what they
value more: ( ) shortness of the lynx.cfg file, or ( ) detailed
configurability.  (Don't forget to point out that options are, ehmm,
optional.)  I doubt very much that you could come up with a ratio
of 100:1, even with your usual inventiveness with numbers. :)

(400 lines??)

   Klaus