lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Java script support.

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Java script support.
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:55:57 -0600

On Sat, Jun 26, 1999, Igor B. Poretsky (address@hidden) said:

|     Did you ever think about implementing of java script support into
| Lynx?

It's one of those things that's been talked about on-and-off several
times, most recently ~2-4 months ago.  At that time, IIRC, someone
seemed to have a plan to implement some of the basic "hooks" into the
lynx code that could be built upon, but I dunno where that effort is
going (if anywhere at all).

I know Tom put a compile-time flag (--enable-libjs) and appropriate ifdef's
in, so that any experimental code could be isolated, but I haven't seen
anyone doing anything with that facility.

| Recently I've come across the nice library which seems could be
| used for this purpose. It resides on the
|
| http://dominic.liquid3.com.au/js/

If this is different than what the last proponent was planning to use,
it might be worth looking into.  I'll have to defer to someone who is
more knowledgeable about JS, than I.

Would that be yourself, by any chance ... :-) ...?

|     What do you think? Is it principally possibly or not?

Anything is *possible*, and many have requested JS support.  It just
requires some interested someone(s) to do the work.

IIRC, the only objection to adding JS support, was one of "bloat", but
then that issue gets raised whenever any significant enhancement is
proposed, it seems.

/kim