lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Old gettext version in lynx code (was: Hello/LYNX)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Old gettext version in lynx code (was: Hello/LYNX)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 05:17:42 -0400 (EDT)

> > In any case, it seems (to me) that the libintl has to match the xgettext
> > utility.
>
> True, but, including both in the Lynx distribution does not guarantee
> that they will not get mixed up or out of synch.  (Two months after
> Lynx was installed, a person working on the translation updates the
> lynx.mo file, typing msgfmt instead of gmsgfmt.)

yes.  (I don't much like seeing code that's incompatible for no reason).

> > Is there a good reason for GNU's (binary) message library format
> > being incompatible with Solaris'?
>
> Money. :)

not good enough.

> (Not entirely a joke, since as you must have found by now, the GNU
> xgettext absolutely requires an empty msgid ""/msgstr "" pair which
> includes the version date, character set, etc. in addition to the
> commented-out Copyright notice.  This can be deleted, however, before
> running msgfmt on the po file.)
>
> Would you mind giving a _complete_ enough description of how to set
> up NLS using entirely the Solaris libintl, xgettext and msgfmt that I
> could do it for comparison purposes?  Is the Solaris source code
> openly available?

I suspect that (like a lot of other stuff) the _binary file_ format is readily
available in Solaris's headers.  (That's why I don't understand that there's
a reason for a core dump).

Perhaps the newer GNU libintl doesn't dump core when reading Solaris' message
files (iirc, either way of mismatch does this now).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden