lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Why does Lynx do it? (fwd)

From: drose
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why does Lynx do it? (fwd)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:00:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 13-Jun-99 03:50 address@hidden wrote:

> >> You need to tell us more about how you are using lynx.  On what OS is
> >> Lynx running?  Do you run lynx locally on a PC, or do you dial in to
> >> a shell account?  Whot software (comm program) is between you and Lynx
> >> (if you use dialin to a shell account)?
> >>
> >> Is this caused by a specific link in your bookmarks page?  If yes, can
> >> you isolate which 8-bit character provokes the behavior?
> >>
> >> Yes, 2.8rel.2 is now old, the latest version is 2.8.2rel.1; but this may
> >> or may not be related to the version.
> >>
> >> [ Reply to address@hidden, please. ]
> >>
> >>    Klaus
> >>

> > Lynx Development:
>
> > I am using Lynx from a Unix shell account via VT-100 terminal
> > emulation connection (no PPP).  I use Comit communication software on
>
> I know of Comit for DOS, its vt100 emulation apparently broken:
> lowercase US-ASCII letters being translated to C0 specials
> which is beyond me. ANSI emulation broken either.
> Comit for Windows 3.1 is working OK (but requires windows...)
> This `Comit' program is a commercial one and probably not supported
> any more, IMO.
>
> > my DOS (v.6.22) IBM compatible (386).  I have tried a more recent
> > version of Lynx (2.8.1, rel.2, 1998) and have had this wild loop
> > problem whenever I attempt to access a variety of sites (e.g.,
> > http://members.eb.com).  It happens only when I switch "Display
> > Character Set" in Options to "IBM US CODEPAGE, CP 437".  It happened
> > in older versions even when I left the character set at ISO Latin 1.
> > It is not a very serious problem, but perhaps it will cause problems
> > when I least expect it.
>
> > Thank you all for developing a serious text-based browser.
>

> > Sincerely,
>
> > Douglas Rose
> > The Graduate School and University Center
> >      of the City University of New York

Dear All:

Thank you Leonid for your expertise.  I can hardly believe, however,
that Comit's VT100 emulation does not work.  I've been using it for
two years in VT100 mode on many different BBS and dial-in services,
and it has functioned perfectly.  It is produced by Tradewind
Software, Box 36, Glendora, CA 91740 and technical support can be
obtained at (818) 335-5659.  It is actually quite a handly program.

In any case, I'd also like to thank Klaus for his suggestions.  I
opted to follow his http:// link to the reference about installing a
driver to make DOS compatible with ISO-8859-Latin 1.  It was simple
and worked like a charm.  I now get all the foreign (extended ASCII)
characters while on the web with Lynx (and any other DOS program),
without changing the Lynx display option from Latin 1.

Sincerely,
Douglas Rose