lynx-dev

Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:46:33 +0900 (JST)

> I've been spending my time begging for translation files rather than
> tweaking the existing code.

My hope is that making the translator's job easier will encourage others
to volunteer *.po files.  Anyway I'll continue to work with you and Tom
to improve things as we can.

> Right. The long messages in general are losers, because as soon as
> someone "improves" the grammar the entire translated message is out of
> synch and thus lost. I see this in the French messages. Perhaps the
> effort to simplify the message base can be combined with the effort to

Unless others express their opinion, it becomes entirely Tom's call.
I certainly wouldn't mind if all of the gettext() calls in LYrcFile.c
were done away with.  (But that's because I knew about the repetition
in the help file set, and knew better than to translate all that. :)

__Henry