lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev table formatting (possible) solution

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: lynx-dev table formatting (possible) solution
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 15:57:11 +0100

In message <address@hidden>,
           address@hidden writes:
>  a little - we can make a two-pass renderer if someone figures out how
>  to manage the resulting information.

You don't strictly need a two pass renderer, though, do you?  Netscape
and IE both managed to render tables without them for a long time, afaik.

This is what the object tree thing is supposed to handle.  When you get
a table, say this one:

That gets converted to an object tree like this (children -> that way):

TABLE-->TR-->TH-->"Item"

  +---->TR-->TD-->"Fish"
  |     +--->TD-->"27.00"

  +---->TR-->TD-->"Children"
        +--->TD-->"14.00"

When you come to render this, you work out the size of the table cells
(by rendering them silently) and propagate them upwards to the rows
and then the parent table before you actually start to render it.

At least, that's the theory.  I have the object tree bits, but not any
rendering code at the moment.

Comments?
--
rob partington / address@hidden