lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev patch to add description of extended INCLUDE syntax to

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch to add description of extended INCLUDE syntax to
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:12:26 +0900 (JST)

> into a global config file.  I can however imagine individual users using
> includes to include certain site specific configuration files in cases where
                      ^^^^^^^                                 ^
I can see I've been asking the wrong person.  Would you mind explaining in
a bit more detail just what you mean by "certain."  Also, would you explain
the advantage of a user being able to have _any number of_ configuration
file_s_ for Lynx alone, especially the benefit of allowing nesting of those
include files.

In other words, I cannot imagine an ISP or sysadm putting multiple INCLUDEs
in the global lynx.cfg file, nor can I imagine why an ISP or sysadm would
put INCLUDE among the configuration parameters.

I DO understand why the person who does a global installation of Lynx
within a wrapper might want to put a line like the following in the
system lynx.cfg file:

    include:~/.lynx/lynx_cfg:COLOR KEYMAP STARTFILE CHARACTER_SET ...
                                                                  ^^^
However, isn't the same old catch 22 there, i.e., isn't it the system
administrator's prerogative to decide what gets included?  Seems to me
we're right back to where we started from.  Any attempt to take away
control that the sysadm has over an installation will lessen the chances
that that program will get installed at all.

__Henry