lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 17:42:11 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Philip Webb said:

> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:07:49 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Should Lynx attempt to complete "www.stanford" to "www.stanford.edu"?
>
> this doesn't have a Yes/No answer:
> my answer is `Yes, provided you have  .edu  in the list in  lynx.cfg '.
>
> > Should Lynx attempt to complete "www.ru" to "www.ru.edu"?
>
> my answer is `No, because Lynx should assume a final  .ru  is the country',
> but i need to expand my previous remarks:
> it wouldn't be unreasonable if Lynx expands with  .edu  here,
> since  .ru  is immediately preceded by  www ,
> which implies it is a middle-ranking domain:
> we could have Lynx check for an immediately preceding  www  first.

Why should Lynx maintain a list of top-level domain names, when
the nameservers to this quite well already?  Right now, I like
what happens (although I have name completion turned off),
and I believe Lynx should first look up the name (even for a
single-qualifier name), and attempt name completion only if
the initial lookup fails.

What do you think should happen if I enter "http://www";?  I like
the current behavior of Lynx, and would dislike seeing it change.

And, please, make no assumptions that the qualifier following
a "www" is a "middle-ranking domain".  A little probing finds
me a site in which the www is immediately followed by the
top-level domain name.

-- gil