lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:52:01 -0400 (EDT)

990513 Matt Ackeret wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>> 990513 Philip Webb wrote:
>>> Lynx should KNOW  .uk .ca .fi .ru  are codes for countries,
>>> which must always be last: it could try inserting eg  .co.uk .
>> I looked at IANA's list of country codes with a mischievous eye.
>> Sixth entry: "ANGOLA AO".  Maybe "American Optical"?  http://www.ao.com/";.
>> Rapidly connected to the home page of Alpha Omega Computer Systems.
>> Do you propose to filter your list of country codes
>> to eliminate two-letter second-level domain qualifiers?
>> try  www.ru.edu/, cu.edu (Colorado/Cuba), lu.edu (Lincoln/Luxemborg),
>> mu.edu (Marquette/Mauritius),  nu.edu (National/Niue); I'm giving up.
> If someone types "ru", then it makes sense to try "www.ru.com"
> or "ru.com", I don't know exactly what it does.
> but this is similar to being able to type "yahoo" and getting yahoo.com.
> However, if someone types "whatever.ru",
> then you don't want to add the suffixes on.
> So it's not really the "ending word" that is the issue,
> it is the ending word _with the dot_: then DO NOT use the guessing games.
> If there is not a dot there, then do the guessing games.

precisely: if i enter simply  ao  & i've ask for guessing in  lynx.cfg ,
Lynx should try eg  http://www.ao.com/ ,  http://www.ao.org/  ... ;
but if i enter  some.site.ao/  (even without the  / )
-- let alone  www.its.leeds.ac.uk/  or  www.ngs.fi/js/  -- ,
Lynx should be intelligent enough to know  .uk .fi .ao  are countries.
Lynx tries to understand character-sets & lynx-devers live worldwide
& knowing that part of many URLs is a country code is something basic.
i know many Americans have to say `Paris, France'
to distinguish it from `Paris, Idaho' (smile), but when it comes to URLs,
country codes are top-level domains in a way that companies/states aren't:
it would be better if all URLs were required to end in a country suffix,
but that's beyond the scope of lynx-dev.

this should be fixed when someone has the time.