lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx Installation troubleshooting

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Installation troubleshooting
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Sarli Leopoldo wrote:

> Help! We download then Lynx 2.8 version from Internet but after having
> unpacked the file on our PC we are not able to configure it. We can't find
> a file to configure to make the program run. When we run the file linx.exe
> or linx.bat (copied from the "Samples" directiry) the error message is like
> "Unable to find valid drivers package", even if there is a directory named
> "Drivers" on our PC. What can we do??

This sounds like you downloaded an old binary for DOS. If you are
running Windows95, Windows98, or WindowsNT, you need the Win32
port. If you really want to run under plain DOS, you need the DOS
port (needs at least a 386 processor). There are at least two Win32
packages available on the net, and are at least 5 packages for the
DOS port. Each has its own advantage. For the Win32 port, I would
start with the package at "http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm";.
This should be run from a batch file. You will need to modify the
sample enclosed in the package before running it. If running from
plain DOS, you might try the package available from me. This requires
that you read the text files, modify some batch files, and obtain a
separate PPP program (pointers included in package). An attempt by
John Lewis to automate configuration along the lines of Bobcat is at
"http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/sub/b386-e01.exe";. Other DOS packages
are the blynx package, the lynx_kit package, and the package available
from the same URL as the Win32 port. The package from me is available
at "http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.8.2dev.19-DOS.zip"; or at
"ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman/lynx2.8.2dev.19-DOS.zip";. If you
still have trouble after getting one of the above, please write back
with specifics of your platform, the package that you tried to use,
and how it failed.
                            Doug

__
Doug Kaufman