lynx-dev

lynx-dev https urls

From: Richard M. Wilkinson
Subject: lynx-dev https urls
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 03:45:01 -0500 (CDT)

        I am a blind user of Lynx and love it.  It makes web access so
simple.  I access the Lynx browser through my shell account at my internet
service provider.  This is done by typing in "lynx -show_cursor" at the
"$" prompt.  The isp then routes me to the Lynx home page, and I'm on my
way.

        Through this process, I assume that I am getting the most recent
version of the program.  When I entered the "=" sign, the version of Lynx
indicated is 2.8rel2.

        One problem I have been encountering is the use of "secure" online
ordering links.  When I attempt to activate these links a message appears
saying "alert: this client does not support https urls".  I assume this
alert is coming from the Lynx browser, but I'm not sure who the "client"
is or how this can be corrected.  Tech support at my isp told me that it
must be a problem with Lynx and encrypted files.  Can you give me an
answer to this.  There are times when I'd like to order something over the
web but am forced to use a toll free telephone number instead.

        Thank you for your help.

Richard M. wilkinson