lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Table support?

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Table support?
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 06:50:22 -0400 (EDT)

From: Chris Wilson <address@hidden>

--- "Larry W. Virden" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I mean precisely that -- that I've never seen tables when
> using Lynx, even on other machines.

> These sites list their categories in table format, but Lynx
> displays their categories as just being listed vertically
> down the length of the page, one below the other.

The way HTML is defined is that if a browser doesn't recognize a tag or
handle it, it ignores the tag and the contents within the tag.

If lynx didn't handle tables, you would not see the categories listed
vertically.  You would see nothing.

I agree that lynx does not display tables in the fashion a GUI browser does.
But it does 'handle' tables, albeit less well than you wish.

Recently there have been some discussions on changing the way that lynx
displays tables - but the result will not look more like a GUI - but in
fact even less ...

I hope that as people dream up ways for lynx to do tables better
they keep in mind speech synthesisers and do not build a table display
that makes it more difficult for software to read the table..
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>