lynx-dev

lynx-dev Problem cookie with comma in unquoted string

From: bloomfld
Subject: lynx-dev Problem cookie with comma in unquoted string
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:21:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

Lynx is great but it can be picky...

I recently ran into a problem caused by an errant comma in a
cookie, embedded in the unquoted string that formed the `value'
in an `attr=value' pair. LYProcessSetCookies (LYCookie.c) took
the comma as a terminator and truncated the string, and the
host couldn't cope with the broken cookie.

The cookie was plainly broken to begin with, but was exchanged
apparently without comment between the server
(Netscape-Enterprise/2.01-p100) and other browsers. I could
  (a) whine to the webmaster, or
  (b) try to live with it,
and decided to do both. Option (a) has had no effect. Under
(b), I took the comma out of the test for `end of string' in
LYProcessSetCookies (in 2 places), and immediately found that
HTMIME_put_character (HTMIME.c) and HTLoadHTTP (HTTP.c) use a
comma followed by a blank to terminate one part of a cookie
when appending another part. There didn't seem to be any reason
not to use a semicolon instead, so I replaced the commas.

My lynx now works with the offending site, and hasn't fallen
down on the few other sites I've tried. Just thought you might
want to know.

Peter Bloomfield