lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: BUG (weird one): long filenames, specialized

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: BUG (weird one): long filenames, specialized
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:56:44 -0400 (EDT)

> The reason _to_ move to automatic allocation is so that when one encounters
> file names or user inputs larger than you expected, lynx doesn't die ,
> generate an error, or permit people to execute code they should not be
> able to execute...
>
> I think _that's_ an exceptionally good reason to make the changes where
> input is not a fixed size.

right:  if you _don't_ know how big it could be, and it could be "large",
automatic allocation is a solution.  Another solution would be to discard
data that doesn't fit, but I don't like that much.  Where performance is an
issue we can tune things (we do that in the code that does directory
listings, for example).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden