lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:04:41 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sat, 24 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > >  I afraid we have to expect similar behaviour on VMS port - as I
> > > understand,
> > > the VMS filename always contains ':'. I see several variants (not
> > > mutually
> > > exclusive)
> >
> > perhaps simpler: require that the include filename be quoted to get
> > keywords
> > after it
>   What do you mean by qouting - including the name in qoutes or escaping
> colons?

including the name in quotes.
if no quotes are given, we use the old (before your change) behavior,
which uses the remainder of the line as the pathname.

>   IMO this is bad solution - it breaks backward compatibility on DOS since
> each file path contain ':' after drive letter there. So we can be smart to
                ^may  (you don't have to have a drive letter)
> handle this without escaping colons or don't require to escape the 1st colon.
>
>   I still don't know anything about VMS filenames. Can you describe them
> briefly or point which of the variants in my original letter is correct?

VMS can have more than one ':' in a pathname.  Here's a few examples

        filename
        [dir1]filename
        device:[dir1]filename
        node::device:[dir1.dir2]filename

(any of the parts of a VMS pathname is optional)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden