lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx/32 with Vocal-Eyes

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx/32 with Vocal-Eyes
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:07:32 -0400

Hello.  I use Lynx/32 with Vocal-Eyes 3.0.  Attached are a Conagent.set and
Conagent.atr files which you should put into the directory from which you
run Lynx/32.  Don't put them into your speech directory.  The SET file
turns on the Vocal-Eyes "revector check" function, which makes the screen
reader "move to the front of the line" for keyboard handling.  Because of
the revector checking, you should exit your DOS box as soon as you finish
running Lynx, otherwise your computer will be unstable.  It isn't perfect,
but it does work.  I run Lynx in Intermediate or Advanced user mode.  Make
changes to the Conagent SET file while you are in screen review, so they
don't come out and activate Lynx's keyboard buffer when you exit the
control panel.  I have set up a number of hotkeys, including Alt-T to read
the title line, Alt-F to read the document area, and alt-S to read the
status line.  Hitting ctrl-A to check the cursor position may still move
the Lynx cursor, unless you go into Lynx.cfg and map that key to
do_nothing, or first route the VE Cursor and then check its position with
the Delete key.

For your bookmarks, you need to make sure Lynx knows what file to use.  By
default, in Win95, since long file names are valid, it will look for
Lynx_bookmarks.html.  You can change this in the Lynx.cfg file.  Being
derive from Unix, Lynx is sometimes case sensitive in finding and
displaying file names, even when Win95 is not.

I use this browser a lot, even with all these quirks.  Please write back if
you have more questions.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congres    (202) 707-0535  <address@hidden>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <address@hidden>   <http://lras.home.sprynet.com