lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev screen widths

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen widths
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

990416 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
>> how difficult would it be to add an Option to vary the screen width,
>> incl using the whole of cols 1 - 79 available on a regular screen?
> This doesn't belong in lynx,
> but in whatever provides lynx with a screen area to draw on.
> And it's already there: see your stty command.

the fact that Lynx uses only columns 4 - 73 of the standard 79-col screen
is hard-coded somewhere in Lynx; it has nothing to do with stty:
(1) there's nothing in  man stty  about setting display width,
(2) my (present) editor & the man display both use 79 columns,
without any change in tty settings.  a lot of users would find it helpful
if they could use all 79 columns when using Lynx: i am one of them.

moreover, the fact that Lynx restricts users to 70 columns flies
in the face of the ideological claim that it should be format-neutral:
it was chosen -- apparently arbitrarily -- back in the early days of Lynx.