lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 06:09:23 -0400 (EDT)

990414 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> Henry's point was the startfile probles should belong to PROBLEMS
> since this most usual a local networking problem, not lynx.browser.org one.

whatever HN's point may have been -- he wasn't very coherent -- ,
the everyday problem is ordinary users who can't even start Lynx
because l.b.o. is down: this will go on happening if we continue to offer
a remote file as STARTFILE default.  it's got nothing to do with networking.

> So a person compiling lynx from sources could read PROBLEMS
> without our advice.

people compiling their own Lynx are not the ones having the problem:
yes, they should have gone thro'  lynx.cfg  themselves when they started.

> "precompiled binaries" are usually distributed
> without INSTALLATION, PROBLEMS, samples/ etc.
> and used by less technical people. So they need another README file,
> in additional to one from sources package.

that's a good point: someone should volunteer to write one.

> Startfile problems, platform-specific paths, advise to check lynx.cfg, etc.
> all should belong there (assuming a user cannot start lynx).
> However, this is up to the binary distributions author.

if so, they'll probably still be waiting in 2099.

> In fact, most UNIX users already have lynx installed somewhere
> on their system out-of-the-box, they may have no idea about
> the package besides trying to start "lynx"
> However, lynx -help always work unless the executable is corrupted.
> How about adding a special text for -morehelp option (may be another name)
> like we have for -permissions without arguments?
> This can be a separate included file, easily maintainable in a root directory
> and built into any lynx binary like we have for configure options currently.

this would help some users, if anyone cares to implement it.

to repeat: