lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx: have bug (fwd)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: have bug (fwd)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:38:20 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 21-Mar-99 06:56 Klaus Weide wrote:

But URLs should never *have* unencoded 8-bit chars - and lynx
never generates such URLs as a result of form submission (I hope).

> UTF-8 URL-encoding was proposed in several recent drafts
> (not handy, but I remember a note that certain protocols
> or servers may expect blind %xx encoding, not utf-8
> so we may need a configurable option between (1) and (2) for compatibility.
> Also I doubt lynx do (2) in all cases, saw it only for HTML's -

It may not do it if in raw or transparent mode, or if Display character set ==
document charset (or assumed charset?), or if CJK, or some other combination
of factors.  It shouldn't have anything to do with HTML or not though.

> a proper solution here may be to not include open 8-bit bytes in HREF=url
> but only %xx-encoded by page authors).

Right, at least for now.   At some point in the future, that may be
different.

> At least I18N (RFC2070) describe the problem:  [ snipped ]

> > It may not be a bug, but you have to set up lynx correctly.
> > Try it with -raw (or the equivalent '@' key toggle), or with
> > -assume_charset=iso-8859-9 (you possibly also want
> > -assume_local_charset=iso-8859-9).

This could also apply to the UTF-8-in-URLs problem.

But we don't know whether this has anything to do with Turan Yuksel's
problem.  We don't even know yet whether that problem has anything to
do with METHOD=GET forms, the only ones where the data becomes part
of the URL; it might be different for METHOD=POST.

   Klaus