lynx-dev

lynx-dev still problems with h_errno

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: lynx-dev still problems with h_errno
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:15:04 -0800

A while ago I wrote, regarding a patch to 2.8.2dev.15 which was then
incorporated into 2.8.2dev.16:

> On SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.5, the patch builds fine except you need
> to declare extern int h_errno; -- or #include <resolv.h>.  Some
> configure stanzas would solve that (Tom?).

I haven't built any version 2.8.2dev.16-19, but today I tried to build
dev.20 on SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0, and again, h_errno isn't
defined.

This time, it simply doesn't seem to be defined in any system header
file at all.  The only choice is to declare:

  extern int h_errno;

This situation pertains on OpenServer releases 5.0.0 through 5.0.4;
h_errno first appears in <resolv.h> in release 5.0.5.  I haven't tried
to build on 5.0.5, but it looks as if it would also fail there.

I'm not familiar with the detailed operation of autoconfig, but what I
think is wanted here is approximately:

  is h_errno already declared by one of the headers included by HTTCP.c?
     -- then do nothing
  otherwise, is h_errno declared if we #include <resolv.h>?
     -- then #include <resolv.h> in HTTCP.c
  otherwise,
     -- declare "extern int h_errno;" in HTTCP.c