lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev configure option --libdir not GCS conform

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev configure option --libdir not GCS conform
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:59:27 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Olaf Lenz said:

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:11:29 +0100
>
> When building Lynx 2.8.1 for our multiplatform-environment, I found
> one problem with the install-path for the lynx.cfg-file.
>
> As the Lynx Installation Guide states, the option "--libdir" of the
> configure script is used to determine the location for the
> installation of the lynx.cfg file. Following the Gnu Coding Standards,
> this seems to be quite the wrong place for the file, as it is used for
> system dependent object code:
>
> In the case of lynx.cfg there's only one thing that could be system
> dependent, i.e. the SYSTEM_MAIL and SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS-settings. These
> settings do not tend to change very often, but one would need
> a different lynx.cfg-file for every platform anyway.

This was discussed here several months ago.  I believe the view that
prevailed was that while a platform-dependent lynx.cfg is the
requirement of a minority, it should be supported.  I know that when
I run configure and specify --prefix and --libdir as platform-independent
and --exec_prefix as platform-dependent, I install a single common
lynx.cfg and different executables for each platform.

-- gil