lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev CJK broken in Lynx 2.8.2dev.17

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev CJK broken in Lynx 2.8.2dev.17
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:40:51 +0900 (JST)

> > Japanese support is broken for "http://www.synnex.co.jp/regist.html";,
> > upon cursory examination a "valid page" using sjis character set.  The
> > same page is rendered correctly by Lynx 2.8.2dev.8.

Thank you Leonid and Klaus for your queries/help.  The above statement
is not correct, and thus I have caused another false alarm.  Sorry. m(_ _)m

I was using dev.8 and dev.17 on different machines.  The option menu
seemed to be telling me the same thing, and I _thought_ lynx.cfg was
equivalent, but ...

The problem stems from having "ASSUME_UNREC_CHARSET:Transparent" in
lynx.cfg.  If that line is commented out or changed to "ASSUME_UNREC
_CHARSET:euc-jp", then the document is rendered correctly.  (On the
machine running dev.8, none of the ASSUME_ lines are in lynx.cfg.)

If set to Transparent, on the =)info page it says:
         Charset: iso-8859-1 (assumed).
If either of the latter two, on the =)info page it says:
         Charset: euc-jp (assumed).

>      content="text/html; charset=x-sjis">
>
> The charset name is bogus.  (Why do people prefix things with "x-" if
> there's a registered name anyway?)  Recognize by Lynx are "shift_jis"
> and "x-shift-jis".
>
> Of course that doesn't explain the difference.

Actually, now that the problem is pinned down, I guess it does?

> I think Henry didn't tell us what Display character set he is using,
> and -assume_charset if any.  (If he did - sorry, missed it).

Sorry, again.  From the options menu:
  Display character set            : [15][(10)_Japanese (EUC-JP)______________]
  Assumed document character set   : [17][(10)_euc-jp__________]
  CJK mode                         : [18][(2)__ON_]

I have no recollection of when or why "Transparent" got into my
lynx.cfg file.  "x-transparent" does not work, either, however.
I thought it might, since while the =)info page shows "Charset:
x-transparent (assumed)", the o)ption page shows "euc-jp".

I hope to be back on the list by Saturday.  If you need something
before then you'll have to cc.

__Henry